Senior Portfolio Construction Analyst
MEDIOLANUM BANKING GROUP
The Mediolanum Banking Group is a leading Italian financial conglomerate listed on the Milan stock exchange and a constituent of the FTSEMIB index. It was founded in 1982 with the aim of delivering customized, value adding investment products and services to retail clients by means of an innovative, client centric, service orientated distribution model.
Today the two basic components of Mediolanum’s early success, innovation and client service, are firmly embedded in the DNA of the organization and none more so than in Mediolanum’s Irish operations which have developed over time to become the financial research and development centre for the Group, driving product and service innovation across its mutual fund and insurance businesses alike.
Established in Dublin since 1997, Mediolanum has a Fund Management Company, an Asset Management Company and a Life Insurance Company with each focused on the research, development, and discovery of innovative investment products and services, which it then delivers to its European retail client base through UCITS and Non UCITS mutual funds as well as unit linked life insurance products. These products are distributed primarily through the Group’s Banking entities and their Family Banker sales networks. The Irish Operations of over 80 people also support our Group entity Gamax in Luxembourg which is growing its institutional business. Our people are continuously trying to effect change for advantage and we have created unique internal mechanisms to foster and develop IP initiatives in all aspects of our activities.
We are seeking persons who are creative and want to innovate, and who can leverage on the pools of knowledge and skill available to us through many partnerships at a global level.
Position: Senior Portfolio Construction Analyst
Reporting to: Head of Multi-Manager Team
Role: We currently have an opening for the role of a Senior Portfolio Construction Analyst. This is an important new position. The person will act as a key link and oversight between the top down asset allocation views from our Investment Committee with the bottom up input from our fund selection team and portfolio managers. Our investment process follows a risk budgeting approach to ensure portfolios are aligned correctly to where we want to have risk in portfolios and to ensure there is consistent application of the process across products. Another key consideration for how our funds are positioned relative to their product peer group categories. The Investment Team is growing and its scope is expanding thereby providing a thriving environment for career progression in a new dedicated role and function.
Duties will include, but not limited to the following
- Ensure that portfolios are consistent with the Investment Committee strategic view as well as being aligned to key product objectives
- Help to design active investment risk strategies and effective implementation of risk budgeting for fund owners
- Responsible for developing quantitative techniques that support portfolio managers and analysts in their investment decisions
- Analyse and be a thought leader in helping to optimise portfolio return and risk across all products under management
- Be a thought leader and contributor to further developing our risk budgeting approach
- Develop models to identify the factors that drive performance and enhance it, seek new ways of constructing portfolios and challenging investment ideas
- Support Senior Management and Portfolio Managers through critical analysis of the composition of funds
- Ad hoc projects as required
- 8-10 years of experience in asset management
- Quantitative/Business based University Degree
- CFA qualification is advantageous or the candidate should be studying towards achieving this qualification
- Experience across asset classes in particular equity and fixed income
- Previous work experience in Portfolio Construction role or Risk Analysis, particularly relevant if gained in a Fund of Fund environment
- Excellent analytical skills, knowledge of numerical & quantitative research techniques
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead others
- Programming skills desirable
- Numeracy, accuracy and attention to detail as a pre-requisite as is the ability to work to deadlines in a team based environment
- Strong analytical and communication skills (both oral & written)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- Knowledge of Bloomberg PORT, Morningstar, Style Research is an advantage
Remuneration package will be competitive and based on the successful candidate’s overall abilities and experience.