Fund Selection Analyst
MEDIOLANUM BANKING GROUP
The Mediolanum Banking Group is a leading Italian financial conglomerate listed on the Milan stock exchange and a constituent of the FTSEMIB index. It was founded in 1982 with the aim of delivering customized, value adding investment products and services to retail clients by means of an innovative, client centric, service orientated distribution model.
Today the two basic components of Mediolanum’s early success, innovation and client service, are firmly embedded in the DNA of the organization and none more so than in Mediolanum’s Irish operations which have developed over time to become the financial research and development centre for the Group, driving product and service innovation across its mutual fund and insurance businesses alike.
Established in Dublin since 1997, Mediolanum has a Fund Management Company, an Asset Management Company and a Life Insurance Company with each focused on the research, development, and discovery of innovative investment products and services, which it then delivers to its European retail client base through UCITS and Non UCITS mutual funds as well as unit linked life insurance products. These products are distributed primarily through the Group’s Banking entities and their Family Banker sales networks. The Irish Operations of over 80 people also support our Group entity Gamax in Luxembourg which is growing its institutional business. Our people are continuously trying to effect change for advantage and we have created unique internal mechanisms to foster and develop IP initiatives in all aspects of our activities.
We are seeking persons who are creative and want to innovate, and who can leverage on the pools of knowledge and skill available to us through many partnerships at a global level.
Mediolanum Irish Operations is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
We currently have an opening for a Fund Selection Analyst. We are looking for someone with fund research experience gained across one or several asset classes. The Investment Analyst will have responsibility for developing and maintain a buy list of funds used to support the creation of a broad range of fund of fund portfolios. You will be working closely with portfolio managers to identify the best fund ideas according to our Fund Selection process. The objective being to deliver strong performance for clients and help enable products to rank well within their peer groups. The Investment Team is growing and its scope is expanding thereby providing a thriving environment for career progression.
Duties will include, but not limited to the following
- To take the lead in creating buy lists across allocated fund research areas
- To maintain strong knowledge of allocated peer categories as defined by Morningstar, to understanding industry positioning across the sector
- To constantly update the buy list and recommend funds for removal or addition according to our monitoring process
- To contribute to ongoing enhancement of the fund selection and monitoring process, particularly with a view to adding sound quantitative techniques which can create good efficiencies and deliver a more focused approach
- To meet with external fund managers to develop qualitative view and deepen understanding of the investment approach
- To share with the wider investment team, research into active manager trends and highlighting key strategic papers of leading asset managers
- To maintain and develop our manager research database and records
- Presenting to the Investment Committee; providing regular report and making proposals as required
- Presenting performance updates to stakeholders including distributors and the sales force network
- To work collegiately with the team on other asset classes as required
- Contribute to idea generation for possible new products
- Supporting compliance, regulatory and legal functions including but not limited to the following:
- On boarding new managers and target funds
- Working with the Product Development department on developing new products
- Preparing manager and fund documentation as required
- Ad hoc projects as required
- An analytical background with a degree in a finance or business discipline
- At least five years’ work experience, preferably in the investment management industry
- Good knowledge and experience of fund research
- Strong knowledge of the main asset classes; (equities, fixed income, alternatives)
- Ability to pitch well constructed investment ideas to a wider forum
- A strong interest in investment markets and a high degree of proactivity
- CFA qualification is advantageous or the candidate should be studying towards achieving this qualification
- Good and demonstrated appreciation of quantitative analysis particularly in the area of fund selection
- Strong analytical and communication skills (both oral & written).
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- Knowledge of Bloomberg and Morningstar is an advantage
Remuneration package will be competitive and based on the successful candidate’s overall abilities and experience.